My first ever attempt at oven-roasted whole bird and not only is it easy, it packs a lot of flavor. Here’s all you need for 1 bird, feel free to double, triple…. as per requirement, the baking time remains the same.
For Rosemary Cornish hen with Potatoes:
– 1 Cornish Hen thawed
– 3 Yukon gold or red potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
– 1 sprig fresh Rosemary
– 2 tsp Lemon Juice (concentrate or fresh)
– 3/4 tsp Garlic powder
– 1 1/2 tbsp Chicken Broth
– 1 1/2 tbsp Dry white wine
– 1/4 tsp Salt
– 1 tsp Pepper
– 2 tsp Olive Oil
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees
– Mix olive oil, salt, pepper & lemon juice all over the skin, under the skin and into the cavity and place on shallow baking dish
– Place rosemary sprig into the cavity and bake breast side up for 30mins
– After first 30mins, turn the bird so it’s breast side down, pour wine & broth, place cut up potatoes around the bird
– Bake another 30 mins, baste every 10 mins with the liquid in the baking dish
– Turn bird breast side up and broil for 10 mins for the Maillard reaction to do it’s thing.
– Cover with foil till ready to serve.
For the Best ever Zucchini:
– 5 Zucchinis cut diagonally into 3/4inch thick pieces (it’s pretty crucial to keep the pieces thick so it doesn’t get mushy)
– 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
– 1 tbsp Olive oil
– 2 tbsp Parmesan Cheese
– Salt & pepper to taste
– Apply oil, salt & pepper to zucchini and toss
– Broil for 5 mins
– Take them out drizzle with balsamic vinegar and broil for 2 mins
– Now top with cheese and broil for a minute
– Serve hot, it tastes best when hot
– Impress away!